Time Out – We Need To Grind

Posted By on February 20, 2012

The Farmer’s Markets we do in the winter are doing very well.  More and more folks want fresh natural food.  So, we are running out of products and need to grind more.  However, raising the floors has made the stones and everything connected to them out of level.  In the photo you can see how it is done.  “A” is where we removed the wedges at the top of the posts.  “B” is where we drove in new wedges to raise the posts.  “C” is the axle the stones set on and had to be readjusted to perfectly vertical once the  posts were raised.  “D”  is the axle the pulleys ride on and has to be level so the flat belts will track in the center.  Once this is done the bed stone had to be leveled.  There are 4 large bolts under it to turn and level the stone.  I get it as close as possible with level and then lower the runner stone to within about  1/4 inch of the bed stone.  Start the runner stone spinning and slowly lower it until it starts touching somewhere around the stone.  Look for the sparks.  Then I turn the large bolt under sparks to lower the stone a hair and stop the sparking.  I raise the other side until it sparks and then down a hair.  A few more minute adjustments and it is pert near perfect.  Then check all 4 bolts to make sure they are holding the stone equally. Then, clean, clean and clean some more and we are ready for grinding.

Temporary Wedges

Posted By on February 20, 2012

Wedges

We drive oak wedges on top of the posts as we raise the building.  We are going about 1/2 in. per month.  There are 6 posts we are working on.

Jacking Around at the Mill

Posted By on January 1, 2012

Dave Gahimer and I are starting the job of raising the mill to put in the new posts.  The floors are sagging ……. so, they need to be jacked up before the new posts go in.  We figure moving the floors up 1/2 in. at a time is safe.  This is moving 3 floors of a 1870s building so, we don’t want to hurry.  We plan to raise it 1/2 in. once a month.

Photo on top – Dave trimming one of the posts …. perfectly square and flat.

Photo on bottom – Dave and I jacking up the floors the 2nd time.

2011 Was a Tough Year

Posted By on December 26, 2011

We had a big flood in Feb. and several more in March and April.  The Mill Pond was filled with trees and high winds had knocked down 7 trees in the Tail Race.  Then a tornado hit the mill in May.  We had a lot of water damage in the mill because part of the roof was gone and it kept raining.  With good insurance and lots of volunteer help we managed to get it all back together and in better than ever shape.  The mill was robbed 4 times during the year.  We finally got a good view of the (suspect) with our security cameras and he was caught and put in jail.  We had a beautiful Spring.  But, it only lasted a few days.  Then it started raining and didn’t stop until the drought started.  During the rebuilding of the mill we had back to back days of 110 to 115 heat (with heat index added).  Gas was high and the economy was low ……… However, we had a very good fall and the best ever Covered Bridge Festival.  So, we are planning for 2012 and hoping for a good year.

Topless Mill

Posted By on December 18, 2011

 

Looking through the roof from the top floor.  It rained for several days after the roof was blown off.  We had to clean 3 floors and then used a sprayer with bleach water to double clean.  The machinery shown is not used today.  It is the top of the old swing sifter.  It took about 1/2 the summer to get the mill back together and running again.

More Help Clearing the Tail Race

Posted By on December 18, 2011

 

Dustin (Son) and Ethan (Grandson) helped with the cleanup.  Also, Adam Krackenberger helped alot  and others.

Clearing the Tail Race

Posted By on December 18, 2011

Jimmy Liddle helping with the 200 + trees that fell into the tail race.  We had to get them out or it would silt back in.  It took 2 days and 6 bonfires to clear the creek.

Jimmy

New Roof – Thanks Mother Nature and the Insurance Co.

Posted By on December 18, 2011

No more leaks!!!!!

New Roof

Posted By on December 18, 2011

I painted the eves before the workers put the new roof on.  Had to work fast because I didn’t want to slow them down.

Before Photo of Tail Race

Posted By on July 16, 2011

The tail race was full of buried trees and dirt when we started working on it.  It has taken a few years of working on it – off and on – to get it this open.